From Lars Kühne <lakue...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Yoko Graduation
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:57:58 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Lars Kühne wrote:
>
>>    The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there
>>    are at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single
>>    company or entity that is vital to the success of the project)
>>

>> There currently is only one person doing significant work on the core
>> ORB (Rick). A few people are working on the WSDL binding module, but
>> most (all?) of them are IONA employees, so there is a single company
>> that is vital to the success of the project. To me it looks as if
>> yoko currently doesn't meet the minimum exit requirements.
>
> Ric is from IBM and, as you mentioned, the others are from IONA.  Then
> there's you and a few others.  We definitely have more than three
> legally independent committers.

Yes, but that's not the point. The "no single entity that is vital to
the success of the project" part is what I worry about.

>   I guess the question is that if, theoretically, IONA disappeared
> would we be able to carry on?

Exactly. And I think one person who knows the code wouldn't be enough to
really carry on, would it?

> At the moment, I think Ric is the only non-IONA person who is
> intimately familiar w/ the code.

Correct. Currently if you don't have the opportunity to work on yoko
full time it's hard to get your feet wet with the code. I certainly
haven't, my contributions have been more the "summer intern" stuff: code
cleanup and very small local fixes. I don't see the big picture. A lot
of people with committer status are completely inactive, so I may not be
the only one who feels this way.

Maybe it would help to have some kind of technical overview document,
package docs, and things like that. This would give newcomers a much
better chance to reach the level of Rick and the IONA developers.

Lars