From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Rules for a release vote.
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:17:18 GMT
On Monday 19 February 2007 12:02, David Jencks wrote:
> A couple quick comments
> -- I recall some incubating project (activemq?) being told that they
> could start release votes for themselves and the incubator
> simultaneously, thus having both 72 hr waits run concurrently.

Yea.  However, IMO, that didn't work very well.   There was some confusion as
to where the votes went.   There were IPMC members that didn't vote
specifically because they didn't want their vote influencing the PPMC votes.
(they want the PPMC to function by themselves as much as possible)  Etc...

I wouldn't recommend going that route unless it's somewhat of an emergency
(security patch or similar).   The "cleanest" route is the Yoko PPMC gets it
ready to their satisfaction and the IPMC then validates it.

> -- I'm really worried about the cxf snapshot dependency.  IMO we
> absolutely need to avoid releasing yoko bits that depend on cxf or
> get something stable from cxf that we can release against.  If the
> bits of cxf yoko needs are actually quite stable and basically done
> then perhaps cxf could make a milestone release of those bits.
> Otherwise I don't think we should be releasing something that depends
> on code we know is unstable.

Well, from the CXF teams standpoint, there isn't a way we would release a
milestone based on the latest code.   There are things that are in major flux
right now.   Actually, I think some stuff that was committed on
Friday/Saturday may have broken Yoko.   Not sure yet, but I'm not going to
deploy another CXF snapshot until I double check.

Thus, the options are really:
1) CXF team tags, builds, and deploys a snapshot based on a specific SVN
version number.  2.0-incubator-509280-SNAPSHOT for example.

2) Yoko team pretty much does that instead of CXF.

3) Create a "coreorb" or "embedded" assembly.   I was talking to Balaji about
this on Friday.   Basically, in distribution, have
an "yoko-incubating-M2-embedded.tar.gz"   thing along with the current full
source/bin builds.   This may make sense long term anyway.   For this
release, ONLY release the embedded stuff.   (basically, deploy to a staging
area, then delete all the stuff you aren't planning on releasing before the
votes)  In the future (1.0 or M3), when things stabilize, everything would be
released together, both the embedded versions and the full versions.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer