From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Rules for a release vote.
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:32:48 GMT

On Monday 19 February 2007 06:35, Rick McGuire wrote:
> I'm not sure I've got the terminology correct here, but what are the
> voting rules for an incubating project to cut a release.  What are the
> binding votes required for the vote to pass (i.e, do we need to nudge
> the project mentors to vote on this)?

From my understanding, this is what will need to be done:

1) Get some sort of tagged/reproducable snapshot of CXF.   This can be done
one of two ways:
   a) you can tag (svn cp) the cxf version into your own tags dir, modify the
version numbers, and build/deploy a snapshot from there.
   b) convince a cxf developer to do it from their tree.   I could possibly do
this late tomorrow if need be.
The important thing is to get a version that is known and reproducable.   I'd
suggest a version with the SVN number in the version number.

2) Tag your own codebase, update version numbers, etc... (since you depend on
snapshots, you cannot use the mvn release plugin)   Build and deploy to a
staging area. (/home/user/public_html/yoko_m2 on people or similar)  One
note: don't deploy javadocs jars.  (or rm them before the vote)  With your
setup, those jars don't have the required NOTICE/LICENSE/DISCLAIMER in them
so they aren't releasable.    If you wait another 3 or 4 days, that will be
fixable.

3) Call a vote on that here.   Wait 72 hours.

4) Call a vote on general@.   Wait at least 72 hours.   This was a major
holdup last time.   Once you call a vote, I'd start asking the Harmony and
Geronimo folks that are on the IPMC to get a in vote asap.  You need the 3
+1's.

Anyway, if you start right now, at a minimum, that's 6 days before a release.
More likely: 8-10 days.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer