From Andy Piper <an...@bea.com>
Subject Re: [compatibility] Do we want to be Java5 compatible?
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:42:04 GMT
FWIW the various versions are not completely compatible. For instance
2.5 introduced an incompatible change in wstring marshalling that was
corrected in 2.6. So which version you pick _does_ matter. 2.3 is a
pain because it doesn't specify certain things particularly
rigorously and different vendors did different things.

If it was me I would implement the 2.6 versions of the required parts
of 2.3, since there is general agreement on marshalling etc, but I
understand that implementing the whole of 2.6 is a pain since it
introduces a bunch of stuff (such as PI) which you may not want to implement.

Note that the Sun ORB in J2SE 1.4+ implements _more_ than 2.3. In
particular it implements Portable Interceptors (which were introduced
in 2.4) + a bunch of other minor things.

andy

At 16:19 24/11/2006, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>Alexey Petrenko wrote:

>>>But Harmony can't commit to such support - we are implementing a
>>>specific API (Java 5), and Yoko is free to do what it wants to...
>>That's why I said that it is impossible to make Yoko fully compatible
>>with Java5 in my first email. And nobody wants to. And nobody asks to.
>
>sorry - I feel like we're going in circles here.  I don't understand...
>
>Why can't yoko implement CORBA 2.3 completely (if that is our
>requirement for JDK 5)?
>
>The TCK for SE 5 probably wont' care of there's *more* CORBA in
>there, so the 2.4 things, if compatible with 2.3, should be fine.
>

>geir

by email and then delete it.