From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Help with RMI problem needed.
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:53:01 GMT
I'm stuck on an RMI problem where I've sort of figured out why it's
failing, but I don't have a clue on what the fix needs to be.  The
problem is essentially occurring on a method call where an RMI object is
getting passed to the server as an argument.  This is resulting in an
exception when Stub.connect() is called because the object delegate is null:

|org.omg.CORBA.BAD_OPERATION:  vmcid: 0x0 minor code: 0x0  completed: No|
|    at org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._get_delegate(ObjectImpl.java:24)|
|    at org.apache.yoko.rmi.impl.RMIStub._get_delegate(RMIStub.java:76)|
|    at org.apache.yoko.rmi.impl.StubImpl.connect(StubImpl.java:46)|
|    at javax.rmi.CORBA.Stub.connect(Stub.java:49)

The object's delegate is set to null during processing of a call to
PortableRemoteObject.narrow() resulting from a call to
RMIPersistentStub.readResolve().   The value used on the set call is null.

|at org.apache.yoko.rmi.impl.RMIStub._set_delegate(RMIStub.java:83)|
|    at org.apache.yoko.rmi.impl.PortableRemoteObjectImpl.narrow(PortableRemoteObjectImpl.java:204)|
|    at javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(PortableRemoteObject.java:56)|
|    at org.apache.yoko.rmi.impl.RMIPersistentStub.readResolve(RMIPersistentStub.java:48)|
|    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)|
|    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)|
|    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)|
|    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)|
|    at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeReadResolve(ObjectStreamClass.java:925)|
|    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:1655)|
|    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1274)|
|    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:324)

This is occurring because this code in PortableRemoteObjectImpl.narrow()
is getting the BAD_OPERATION exception because the object in question
has not had a delegate set.

            org.omg.CORBA.portable.Delegate delegate;
            try {
                // let the stub adopt narrowFrom's identity
                delegate = object._get_delegate();

            } catch (org.omg.CORBA.BAD_OPERATION ex) {
                // ignore
                delegate = null;
            }

It appears that the reason this has not had a delegate set is because
the RMIPersistentStub instance was instantiated during the
deserialization process using the default constructor, which does not
set a delegate.

So, what should be happening here?  This test case is unfortunately part
of the tck, so I can't really give a lot of details out except to people
who have signed the tck NDA.

Rick