From Lars K├╝hne <lakue...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Add apache license headers in new files committed
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:52:22 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Tuesday October 10 2006 12:15 am, Sakala, Adinarayana wrote:
>
>>> As an alternative to arat, Checkstyle has a header check. It
>>> currently targets only java files, though. I could fix that quite
>>> easily in the checkstyle core, so that all files can be checked.
>>>

> Honestly, I'm not sure how well this would work.   Couple of reasons:
>
> 1) The "format" of the header is different for .properties
> files, .xml/.wsdl/.xsd files, etc...   Basically, you'd have to abstract
> out the "how is a comment constructed" thing.   (not too bad)
> Currently, the "header check" thing is a pretty strick "does the header
> exactly match what I'm expecting" thing.

You aren't restricted to exact matches. We already have a RegexpHeader
check implemented in Checkstyle:
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_header.html#RegexpHeader

However for historical reasons this check is tied to Java files only,
and I'm making the same functionality available for all text files.

I think that all relevant languages use some non word characters to
indicate a comment, so my idea is to use something like this as the
header definition:

===
^\W*$
^\W*Copyright 2006 ... as applicable\W*$
^\W*$
^\W*$
^\W*Licensed under ... 2.0 \(the License\);\W*$
===

> 2) Some of the files (at least in CXF) aren't supposed to have the apache
> header.   For the schema that we download from W3C, it's not supposed to
> be there.   There are others.   Thus, it needs some exclusion rules or
> something.

Good point. If Ant filesets aren't available then maybe Checkstyle
filters will do the trick:
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config.html#Filters

> That said, if it works, great.    I like the idea.    It just may be hard
> to do and may take a couple iterations to figure out all the little
> things to get it to work correctly.
>
> Then there is also the issue of getting the maven checkstyle plugin
> updated to use it............

The maven people only have to create a new plugin version that depends
on a different version of the checkstyle core. The new version has to
pass all src files into checkstyle, not only the java files. Doesn't
sound like a lot of work, but yes, it might take a bit of time.

Cheers,
Lars