From Daniel Kulp <...@kulp.com>
Subject Re: Add apache license headers in new files committed
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:01:48 GMT
On Tuesday October 10 2006 12:15 am, Sakala, Adinarayana wrote:
> > As an alternative to arat, Checkstyle has a header check. It
> > currently targets only java files, though. I could fix that quite
> > easily in the checkstyle core, so that all files can be checked.

Honestly, I'm not sure how well this would work.   Couple of reasons:

1) The "format" of the header is different for .properties
files, .xml/.wsdl/.xsd files, etc...   Basically, you'd have to abstract
out the "how is a comment constructed" thing.   (not too bad)
Currently, the "header check" thing is a pretty strick "does the header
exactly match what I'm expecting" thing.

2) Some of the files (at least in CXF) aren't supposed to have the apache
header.   For the schema that we download from W3C, it's not supposed to
be there.   There are others.   Thus, it needs some exclusion rules or
something.

That said, if it works, great.    I like the idea.    It just may be hard
to do and may take a couple iterations to figure out all the little
things to get it to work correctly.

Then there is also the issue of getting the maven checkstyle plugin
updated to use it............
Dan

--
Daniel Kulp