From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Our milestone release
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:00:53 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Nolan, Edell wrote:
>
>> Well how about we come up with some sort of policy where we will only
>> put up snapshots
>> That are passing all tests etc.
>>

> I hoped there was a policy that any new commit passed all tests :)

Agreed.

Regards,
Alan

>>> Each to his own.  I think that the version number should be a hint.
>>> If yoko is that mature that calling it 1.0 is a good idea, that's
>>> great.  I know that with Geronimo, we made the mistake of calling the
>>> basic kernel "1.0-M1", which really confused people since it was only
>>> a display of the architectural ideas, and not a 1.0 candidate.
>>>
>> For those of you that don't know, Geir and I have always disagreed on
>> this.  He thinks a milestone is means it is close, I think interpret a
>> milestone as a checkpoint (like the milestone in a workflow or M$
>> project file).  Anyway there is no reason to rehash this.
>>
>> => my interpretation of a snapshot is that it is only a checkpoint as
>> well and that you will have a series of milestones that then lead to
>> your 1.0 release. With each milestone more of the components become
>> complete and aim for the functionality that you want to provide in your
>> 1.0 release.
>>

> Yep - the argument that Dain and I have had is simply what to label
> those releases, not about what a snapshot is (which isn't a release).
>
> I have had good experience with 0.x style before the 1.0, but it does
> require some planning and discipline to get there, or else you wind up
> asymptotically approaching 1.0, castor style - e.g.  0.99943 :)
>
> The problem I found with calling everything "1.0 Mx" is that (to me
> anyway) having a "1.0" as part of the version represents that it's
> 'near' to 1.0.  And if that's the case, call it "alpha", "beta" or "RC",
> which gives a better sense of where you are in the plan, rather than an
> open-ended sequence like "1.0 M27"
>
> Just my $0.02, and I'm just a 'customer', so do what makes you happy.

A rose by any other name...

If we had M27 then it would be no different than 0.27.  We're pretty
darn close to a 1.0 release, thanks to everyone's hard work.  This
milestone release is our first dry run at making a release where we hope
to iron out the kinks and for our community to learn the ropes.

Regards,
Alan