From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Our milestone release
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:13:15 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
>>> What's wrong w/ milestone naming conventions?
>>
>> I'm not a fan.
>>
>> 1.0-M1, 1.0-M2, 1.0-M3...
>>
>> is really misleading, IMO, as they give a sense of it being ready to go
>> 1.0....
>
> I'd prefer to use a stable (i.e., not automatically updated snapshot)
> version to work with.

So would we.  Just something would be better than nothing.

> Also I really like the milestone numbering and
> don't think it implies being ready.  It is just a milestone on a journey.

Each to his own.  I think that the version number should be a hint.  If
yoko is that mature that calling it 1.0 is a good idea, that's great.  I
know that with Geronimo, we made the mistake of calling the basic kernel
"1.0-M1", which really confused people since it was only a display of
the architectural ideas, and not a 1.0 candidate.