From "Mosur Ravi, Balaji" <br...@iona.com>
Subject RE: Yoko core class files not usable with 1.4.2 JVM.
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:12:55 GMT
Hi rick,

I think it is just a matter of adding a compile plugin the core module
to use the java.source.version as 1.4...

The top-level pom has the version set to 1.5 & so it is using that to
compile all the files...

- Balaji

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick McGuire [mailto:rickmcg@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 10:09 AM
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Yoko core class files not usable with 1.4.2 JVM.

There was a lot of discussion when the project was starting up about
whether yoko would require Java 5 or would still support Java 1.4.2.
Geronimo definitely has a requirement for 1.4.2 support for the core ORB

function, and I believe the consensus at the time was to support 1.4.2
for the core orb, but it was ok to require Java 5 for the newer features

(.e.g, XML bindings).

I'm trying to get the current builds working with Geronimo, and I've
just hit a major roadblock due to using Java 5 to build the Yoko code.
When I try to use the Yoko classes from Geronimo, I'm getting class
compatibility errors:

class file has wrong version 49.0, should be 48.0
Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the

classpa
th.
import org.apache.yoko.orb.CosNaming.tnaming.TransientNameService;
                                             ^

I believe this is occurring because the builds are specifying a 1.5
language level for all files.  Is this a fixable problem, or is Geronimo

going to be precluded from using Yoko until it can be Java 5 only?

Rick