From "Nolan, Edell" <Edell.No...@iona.com>
Subject RE: Copyright statements
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:01:14 GMT
Hi,

I think we should go with the new one if there are no objections.

I actually have one more question - In Yoko we are using a tool from
celtix to generate
Some java classes - to pass incubation do these generated java classes
need this header in them as well.

Thanks, Edell.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cliff Schmidt [mailto:cliffschmidt@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 June 2006 15:57
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Copyright statements

On 6/13/06, Nolan, Edell <Edell.Nolan@iona.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I just confirm that this is the correct copyright notice for all
> new files in Yoko.

I'm glad you asked.  There's actually a new header that you should use.
I've copied the entire policy below, but go straight to B.2 to see what
you should use instead of what you proposed (the old version).  The
board recently approved this new header, and I've alert people on
legal-discuss@, but I'm just a day or two away from sending out the
broad email to committers@.

You can still use the old header until August 1st, but you probably want
to start with the new one now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cliff

--- New copyright notice and source header policy ---

A. THIRD-PARTY COPYRIGHT NOTICES AND LICENSES
  0. The term "third-party work" refers to a work not submitted directly
to the ASF by the copyright owner or owner's agent.
  1. Do not modify or remove any copyright notices or licenses within
third-party works.
  2. Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of any
third-party source files.
  3. Minor modifications/additions to third-party source files should
typically be licensed under the same terms as the rest of the source for
convenience.
  4. Major modifications/additions to third-party should be dealt with
on a case-by-case basis by the PMC.

B. SOURCE FILE HEADERS
  0. This section refers only to works submitted directly to the ASF by
the copyright owner or owner's agent.
  1. If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in
it, the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
    a. remove such notices, or
    b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
project release, or
    c.  provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
relocation of the notices.
  2. Each source file should include the following license header --
note that there should be no copyright notice in the header:

           Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
           or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
           distributed with this work for additional information
           regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
           to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
           "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
           with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

           Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
           software distributed under the License is distributed on an
           "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
           KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
           specific language governing permissions and limitations
           under the License.

C.  NOTICE FILE
  0. Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the top
directory, along with the standard LICENSE file
  1. The top of each NOTICE file should include the following text,
suitably modified to reflect the product name and year(s) of
distribution of the current and past versions of the product:

          Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
          Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation

  2. The remainder of the NOTICE file is to be used for required
third-party notices.  The NOTICE file may also include copyright notices
moved from source files submitted to the ASF (see B.1.).