From Lars K├╝hne <lakue...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Logging guidelines
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:00:19 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> So, INFO and higher messages should be localized?
>>

> I hate to say this after the last logging discussion, but that's something
> that probably should be open to discussion.

Sigh... :-/

> I can say that for Celtix, our policy is that the WARNING and SEVERE should
> always be localized.   Those are the types of things that an administrator
> probably needs to know immediately to be able to diagnose and fix a problem.

Like I said in the earlier threads: Please make sure that it is at least
*possible* to enforce english messages somehow without affecting the
default locale.

We send our technical support staff to other countries to do initial
system setup. It would be a nightmare for them to be confronted with
error messages in the local language. Same for support requests, we
won't be able to help our customers if we can't read the error messages
coming from our own software.

> ("Could not connect to port 1234", "Could not resolve host name", etc...,
> although a lot of those things should propogate up via localized exceptions)

Local admins of our systems typically speak english well enough to
understand messages like this, not having them localized won't be a problem.

> The FINE and lower stuff is really just targetted at us.   You need to be
> really familliar with the code to get much use out of that.   Thus, not
> locallizing those is probably preferred.

+1

>     The INFO is in the "grey" area.
> If it's something and administrator may need to know, go ahead, but I'm not
> so sure about requiring it.

I think it would be easiest to not localize yoko log messages at all,
and that would be sufficient for the overwhelming majority of users.

Regards,
Lars