From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official logging platform for Yoko
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 10:51:48 GMT

Andy Piper wrote:
> At 10:42 31/05/2006, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Sorry - I wasn't attempting to drive anything, just noting a "customer
>> requirement" from what might be a very important customer.
>
> I was not meaning to dis harmony in any way, I just feel that we need to
> try and think things through from the perspective of end users of the
> geronimo platform.

I'd think broader than Geronimo.  A high-quality Apache-licensed ORB is
going to be useful for more than Geronimo, and making sure it's easily
embeddable with a minimum of deps would be a good thing.

I'd decouple things via a 'proprietary' logging class (that looked like
j.u.l or log4j, but not clogging because I hate clogging :) that would
allow implementations to inject a NullLogger to swallow the output for
environments where output isn't welcome/proper, or delegate to j.u.l, or
log4j or clogging or....

However, that's already been proposed, and didn't get traction.

I'm not doing any work here - I'm just the peanut gallery :)

geir