From "Nolan, Edell" <Edell.No...@iona.com>
Subject RE: coding standard and logging
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:19:57 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan D. Cabrera [mailto:list@toolazydogs.com]
Sent: 06 April 2006 16:07
To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: coding standard and logging

Lars Kühne wrote, On 4/5/2006 9:30 PM:

> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> Lars Kühne wrote, On 4/4/2006 4:05 PM:

>>> I think there was strong opposition against JDK logging because
>>> people love log4j. I think the consensus was to define our own
>>> logger interface and inject that in ORB.init().
>>

>> What are our target JDK versions again?  Do we start w/ JDK14 or
>> JDK13?  I am of the opinion that we use the vanilla logger for JDK14
>> or, if we start w/ JDK13, log4j.  In either case I do not see the
>> need for a specialized logger interface that's injected; I'm
>> interested in hearing opinion on this.
>>

> JDK 1.3 will be end-of-lifed by Sun this summer, so I think we should
> ignore it.
>
> Re logging, where I work we use log4j on JDK 1.4. I think that is a
> pretty common scenario, and using vanilla j.u.logging will not
> integrate well with the rest of our apps. If you want to support both
> you either have to use some logger abstraction, and a logger interface
> is the best abstraction I can come up with.

Makes sense.  What about slf4j?

> Re minimum JDK: I would like to also bring JDK 1.5 into the picture,
> but maybe that should go into another thread.

Yes, if our minimum JDK is 1.4 then I assume that we would work under JDK1.5; er, at least
if you don't use Geronimo as an example.  :)

Regards,
Alan.

I seen on the geronimo dev list

"We already support JDK 1.5 except for CORBA.  Because of the CORBA limitation Geronimo can't
be certified on JDK 1.5, but if you leave CORBA disabled (and turn off the DayTrader sample
application) Geronimo should run fine on 1.5.

Thanks,
    Aaron
"

My vote is to start with jdk1.5 and it seems geronimo already has support for jdk1.5.

Edell.