From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transport Security [was: Re: Full working orb?]
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:15:00 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> If we can get an agreement here and implement it as the defacto
> standard, I think we will all be better off.
And certainly much faster to get something implemented.  There's not a
whole lot really required by Geronimo for this to work.  The code used
by Geronimo to interface with the Sun ORB (or the WAS CE product to
interface with the IBM ORB) required the following hooks:

   1. A callback to make the decision on what type of transport is
      required (two decision points, one for client access, one for
      server listeners).
   2. A callback to create the actual socket (for both ORBs, this
      callback uses the information derived at the first callback).
   3.  Access to connection context information inside of the
      interceptors.  For both ORBs, this is made available by casting
      the request info object into an implementation-specific extended
      object.

Both the IBM ORB and the Sun ORB implement their mechanisms via suitable
base classes and interfaces, but unfortunately all of the classes
involved using vendor specific package names (com.sun, com.ibm, etc.).
That's one of the interesting difficulties about trying to create a
defacto standard here.  Ideally, these should be org.omg.* package
names, but that can really only be done through the OMG process.

Rick