From Lars Kühne <lakue...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: coding standard and logging
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:18:38 GMT
... and I thought logging was one of the easier problems when building
an ORB :-)

Daniel Kulp wrote:

>Umm.....
>
>j.u.l supports passing objects in as message parameters.
>
>public void log(Level level,
>                String msg,
>                Object param1)
>public void log(Level level,
>                String msg,
>                Object[] params)
>
>The msg string can be a property in the ResourceBundle associated with the
>logger instance.

Yeah, the ResourceBundle (including it's locale) is associated with the
logger and not the handler. In other words, it's impossible to use one
logger and have multiple handlers, each with it's own output language.
It is even impossible to control the output language at all, because
j.u.l.Logger.findResourceBundle() will always use the default locale.

Again, I don't really need internationalized logging in low-level
infrastructure code like ORBs (or servlet engines or O/R mappers or
thelike). I just want to make sure that I can read the logfile if I have
to, so it better be english no matter where my software is running.

And even if all of this i18n stuff was possible with j.u.l, by
hardcoding j.u.l into the ORB you'd leave all log4j users in the cold,
right?

I still prefer the IoC approach because it's integration friendly,
doesn't suffer from classloader problems and can be made as flexible and
sophisticated as we like.

Until now I have only seen a message from Edell stating that "Having to
pass Loggers around is not a good idea." but no explanation why. It's a
bit surprising, because the current code has been donated by you Iona
guys and actually uses the IoC approach. All I would do is change the
Logger interface a little.

Cheers,
Lars