incubator-yoko-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sakala, Adinarayana" <ASAK...@iona.com>
Subject RE: coding standard and logging
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:50:38 GMT
Yes If we start JDK 1.5 you get all the rich features of JDK 1.5 plus most projects/customers
are moving in that direction.
For the part that "we will not support JDK 1.4" answer is yes and no depending on how you
look at it.
Yes, is we can use a retrotranslator to run in a JDK 1.4 environment. http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

My vote would be to start with JDK 1.5 as Aaron suggests in this email. Writing code in JDK1.5
is so much different than writing code in JDK 1.4 and then running it in 1.5.

+1 to take the route of JDK 1.5 for Yoko.

thanks,
Adi

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alan D. Cabrera [mailto:list@toolazydogs.com]
> Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 11:34 AM
> To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: coding standard and logging
> 
> 
> Nolan, Edell wrote, On 4/6/2006 8:19 AM:
> 
> > 
> >
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Alan D. Cabrera [mailto:list@toolazydogs.com] 
> >Sent: 06 April 2006 16:07
> >To: yoko-dev@incubator.apache.org
> >Subject: Re: coding standard and logging
> >
> >Lars Kühne wrote, On 4/5/2006 9:30 PM:
> >
> >  
> >
> >>Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >>>Lars Kühne wrote, On 4/4/2006 4:05 PM:
> >>>
> >>>      
> >>>
> >>>>Nolan, Edell wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>        
> >>>>
> >>>>>2) The last email for the logging - is below We could use the 
> >>>>>LogUtils class from celtix which is using the
> >>>>>jdk1.5 logging.
> >>>>>          
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>I think there was strong opposition against JDK logging because 
> >>>>people love log4j. I think the consensus was to define our own 
> >>>>logger interface and inject that in ORB.init().
> >>>>        
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>What are our target JDK versions again?  Do we start w/ JDK14 or 
> >>>JDK13?  I am of the opinion that we use the vanilla logger 
> for JDK14 
> >>>or, if we start w/ JDK13, log4j.  In either case I do not see the 
> >>>need for a specialized logger interface that's injected; I'm 
> >>>interested in hearing opinion on this.
> >>>
> >>>      
> >>>
> >>JDK 1.3 will be end-of-lifed by Sun this summer, so I think 
> we should 
> >>ignore it.
> >>
> >>Re logging, where I work we use log4j on JDK 1.4. I think that is a 
> >>pretty common scenario, and using vanilla j.u.logging will not 
> >>integrate well with the rest of our apps. If you want to 
> support both 
> >>you either have to use some logger abstraction, and a 
> logger interface 
> >>is the best abstraction I can come up with.
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >Makes sense.  What about slf4j?
> >
> >  
> >
> >>Re minimum JDK: I would like to also bring JDK 1.5 into the 
> picture, 
> >>but maybe that should go into another thread.
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >
> >Yes, if our minimum JDK is 1.4 then I assume that we would 
> work under JDK1.5; er, at least if you don't use Geronimo as 
> an example.  :)
> >
> >Regards,
> >Alan.
> >
> >I seen on the geronimo dev list 
> >
> >"We already support JDK 1.5 except for CORBA.  Because of 
> the CORBA limitation Geronimo can't be certified on JDK 1.5, 
> but if you leave CORBA disabled (and turn off the DayTrader 
> sample application) Geronimo should run fine on 1.5.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >    Aaron
> >"
> >
> >My vote is to start with jdk1.5 and it seems geronimo 
> already has support for jdk1.5.
> >  
> >
> 
> When you say start w/ JDK 1.5, do you mean that we will not support 
> JDK1.4?  I am very much against that.
> 
> 
> Regards,
> Alan
> 
> 

Mime
View raw message