From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Logging
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:48:42 GMT

-1 to defining our own logging API.   That is silly when there is a
perfectly good logging API that meets the requirements  (logging
requirements, not integration requirements), is very simple to use, that
is already installed on everyones machines, does not have "version
number" issues, etc...

Also, for all parts that are based on, use, or derive from Celtix, you
will have to deal with JDK logging anyway.   All logging in Celtix is JDK
logging.   Thus, the tools and bindings stuff might as well just use JDK
logging since that is where a large number of the log messages are going
to go anyway.    There is no plans (or desire) to change Celtix at this
point.  It would be a lot of work for little/no gain.

How is this for an idea/comprimise:
For all logging, we use JDK Logger objects.   However, instead of calling
Logger.getLogger(....), we create a utility class and call:
LoggerFactory.getInstance().getLogger(.....).  (several varieties of
getLogger calls).   The default factory just passes them on to JDK Logger
getLogger calls.   However, if you want, you can replace the
LoggerFactory with one that will wrapper log4j Loggers or whatever else
you want.   The JDK Logger object is not final (or have any final
methods) so we can use it as the API for logging, the underlying logging
can be just about anything.     I COULD be convinced to do something in
similar in Celtix as this would JUST affect the Logger creation
mechanisms, not any of the actual logging.

What are peoples thoughts about that?

Enjoy!
Dan

--