From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: build instructions
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:26:38 GMT
On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:45, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Interesting.  What is so legally "magical" about the Sun jars being in
> a kit as opposed to them being in a maven repo?  I don't see the
> difference.

Me either, but that's why you and I aren't lawyers.   The lawyers have to
make their money somehow, usually at the expense of us.    :-)

Seriously, if you read the Sun Binary Code License
(http://www.java.com/en/download/license.jsp) which the older Sun jars
are distributed under, section B of the supplement specifically lay out
the re-distribution rights of the jars.   Specifically:
(i) you distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled
as part of, and for the sole purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the
Programs add significant and primary functionality to the Software

Putting the jars in a celtix distribution is OK as celtix meets both of
those.   Putting the jars into a maven repository where you can just
download the individual jar does not.

Anyway, a bunch of Lawyers have looked at the licenses, both from IONA as
well as the Maven folks and all have pretty much come to the same
conclusion.   Legally, there isn't anything we can do about it.   You and
I can complain/argue/etc..   all we want, but the lawyers really have the
final say in this case until Sun changes the license (or sets up their
own maven repository).

Enjoy!
--
J. Daniel Kulp