From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: build instructions
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 02:31:50 GMT
Alan,

> >Till then i suggest we take the simplest approach of downloading these
> > jars (one-time) and running the script.
>
> Not an ideal solution.  If ObjectWeb requires these puppies, why
> doesn't it put those jars into its, ObjectWeb's, own repo for us to
> d/l?

If there was ANY legal way that we could do that, we would.   The problem
is that there isn't.   The license on several of the jars ONLY allows
redistribution as part of a complete application download.   Thus, we
cannot put them in a repository that maven can grab individually.   There
is NOTHING we can do about that other than to complain to Sun in hopes
that they change the license.

The newer stuff from Sun (like the jaxb 2.0 jars)  are under the CDDL
license that is allowed.   So those jars can be put on ibiblio.  However,
other jars like activation, saaj, the jsr 181 and 250 jars, etc... are
not CDDL (yet) and cannot be put there.

There are more details about this directly on the Maven web site:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html

Anyway, the Celtix team is hounding Sun.  The Maven team is hounding Sun.
Others are hounding Sun.  However, only Sun can change the license on
those jars to one that would allows putting them on ibiblio.  Until then,
the script thing is the best option we can come up with.  (Although if
you have an internal repository in your company, you could deploy the sun
jars to your internal repository so you don't need to run the scipt
thing.)

That all said, I may change the script so that instead of downloading
jaxws-ea3 from sun, you could just download the latest celtix
distribution from objectweb and use that.   If wget or lynx is available,
we could even make that part of the script.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer