From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for August 2011 (wookie-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:45:19 GMT
On 10 August 2011 09:01, Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and here is a first stab at the content.

Thanks Scott. in general I'd say this is too detailed on the technical
front. Reports are only really about community focussed issues.
Although we really should keep a "news" page on the website for major
steps in the project such as test conformance milestones.

Some suggestions inline:

> =========
>
> Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy widgets for
your applications. Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets specification, but widgets can also
be included that use extended APIs such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial.

> Wookie has been incubating since 17th July 2009
>
> Since May 2011:
>     * Release 0.9 put out for vote
>     * Published a new CMS website with more documentation
>     * Achieved 100% Conformance to the W3C Widget Packaging & Configuration specification
>     * Achieved 97% Conformance to the W3C Widgets Interface specification

Drop conformance points

>     * Added a Scratchpad area for experimental widgets and features

Drop

>     * Explored with Apache Rave(incubating) community and Wookie community members
idea of separate common "widget store" for handling metadata and discovery of widgets. Rough
consensus was to develop separately for now, identify potential for merging later. Community
members associated with two EU-funded projects (ROLE and ITEC) have been developing Wookie-based
widget stores, and we hope to get their code submissions to kickstart this work.

This should be included, but I assume you noticed the interest on the
rave list in the ROLE work on inter-widget communications. We really
need to work with these guys to get their efforts visible. It'll be
good for everyone.

>     * Many bug fixes and updates to main code branch

Drop

>     * Community members working on integrating W3C Widget support into Apache Rave
(incubating)

Drop (we'll report when I merge in my code), the working together part
is already covered above

>     * Community members exploring Apache Amber (incubating) for oAuth support within
Wookie

Yes please, the vote has passed - what's the holdup with taking it to general@?

>     * Continue to work and liase with Apache Rave project
>     * Continue exploration of using Apache Amber for oAuth support within Wookie

Conflate to "other projects"

>     * Create a new "widget store" sub-project, bringing in code submissions from ROLE
and ITEC projects

"aiming to bring in submissions"? Or do you know something we don't know yet ;-)

> Issues before graduation:
>     * complete first release
>     * build community/expand user base

Thanks Scott.