From Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>
Subject Re: Google and Mozilla working on web intents
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:02:50 GMT
On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Zhenhua (Gerald) Guo <jenvor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Scott Wilson
> <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

using a backend service registry and some selection logic - for example for identifying which
SMS sending API to use (e.g. direct through phone device API, or via server-side SMS gateway).
However, putting the user in control of selecting providers for services may be a better idea,
especially if this takes off.

>>> I'm afraid I've only read the two links provided so I'm clueless (as usual ;-)
>>
>> No worries :-)
>>
>> At the moment it seems to store providers at webintents.org. I imagine if picked
up more broadly it will store them in the client browser somewhere, and then use some sort
of cloud service for providing recommendations if you haven't got anything suitable registered
locally.

> I played with it a little bit. For each app, the registration of
> services that will be used by the app is done by putting tag/elements
> "<intent>" into HTML pages.  WebIntent javascript library parses those
> elements and maintains a service registry.  As Scott mentioned, so far
> providers are stored at webintents.org.

If used to launch a suitable widget for the intent then it makes sense
the container does it (albeit delegating to the JS library).

Steve