From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google and Mozilla working on web intents
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:20:51 GMT
On 5 Aug 2011, at 14:53, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 5 August 2011 14:44, Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5 Aug 2011, at 13:32, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to the article below there is an Apache licensed cross
>>> platform javascript library at
>>> https://github.com/PaulKinlan/webintents
>>>

>> This looks really interesting - though I'm not sure where the registry of providers
for each user lives?

>> Paul and I have been working on a dynamic service binding mechanism for widgets using
a backend service registry and some selection logic - for example for identifying which SMS
sending API to use (e.g. direct through phone device API, or via server-side SMS gateway).
However, putting the user in control of selecting providers for services may be a better idea,
especially if this takes off.

>> I wonder if it removes the need for oAuth in some cases?
>
> I'm afraid I've only read the two links provided so I'm clueless (as usual ;-)

No worries :-)

At the moment it seems to store providers at webintents.org. I imagine if picked up more broadly
it will store them in the client browser somewhere, and then use some sort of cloud service
for providing recommendations if you haven't got anything suitable registered locally.

It also doesn't seem to work on non-webkit browsers for some reason.