From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google and Mozilla working on web intents
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:25:28 GMT
We have had a lot of discussions (and a few patches) related to inter-widget communication
in Wookie also. I think the issue is selecting which of many potential implementations to
go with. Shindig/OpenSocial would seem to favour using OpenAjax Hub pub/sub as the IWC mechanism,
however there are a lot of alternatives, as Ivan Zuzak has explored in his work over several
years now:

http://code.google.com/p/pmrpc/wiki/IWCProjects
http://ivanzuzak.info/papers/2011_IWC_slides.pdf

Combining both single-browser, single-user scope IWC and multi-browser, multi-user scope IWC
with a single API is an interesting idea - is that what you mean by local and remote? Or is
it just whether the messaging hub is located client or server-side, and the messages are all
in a single-user, single-page scope?

I think the main thing I've been struggling with for this (I'm also working on selecting the
IWC mechanism for a telecoms project) is usability and user control - its one thing to allow
the "Address Book" widget to talk to the "Credit Rating" widget, its another to give the user
control of whether they think this should be allowed to happen.

Another concern is hunting and cycling of messaging - e.g. A sends message to B, this triggers
B -> C, which triggers C -> A... This would be an easy mistake for end-users to make
when adding widgets to pages. (I've made this happen accidentally myself a few times while
testing, resulting in the Spinning Pizza of Death in Safari)

It would be good to have some common answers to these issues.