From Steve Lee <st...@fullmeasure.co.uk>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Wookie gadget "store" moved to Rave?
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 08:25:00 GMT
On 10 May 2011 16:17, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that some of the code here in Wookie be moved over to
> Apache Rave (Incubating). I feel that it is more likely to be maintained and
> enhanced there. The code in question is present in Wookie in order to make
> Wookie usable, but it is not (IMHO) part of the core objective of Wookie.
>
> If my proposal is accepted it will mean that Wookie would not carry any UI
> code. Instead it would focus on providing a server for the management of
> widget instances. This would not change the headline goal of Wookie ("Apache
> Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy
> widgets for your applications").

As I'm only just engaged I can't comment on the exact details of the
split, but do +1 the broad idea. I'm a keen proponent on the old *NIX
approach of connecting tools that do one thing well. Having an eco
system of such tools in this space should also benefit sustainability.
One thought is that in order to ease evaluation by new users/devs a
global installer would be be useful, or at least clear signposting
between the projects.

> Wookie is focussed on providing a server based environment for the hosting
> of Widgets and Gadgets. It provides the necessary infrastructure for clients
> to request a widget/gadget instance (or a wgt package if appropriate). It
> also provides a persistence layer so that widgets/gadgets can store
> preference values. Wookie does not concern itself with the rendering of
> those widgets/gadgets.

I may be getting confused but doesn't Wookie also implement Wave APIs
- do these really belong there as well? But that's another
discussion....

> Proposal
> ========
>
> Wookie should deprecate all UI code and provide integration with Rave,
> thereby allowing Rave to host W3C Widgets as well as OpenSocial gadgets. Our
> UI will no longer be interactive. All administration activities will be
> carried out via a command line application, interfacing with Wookie via the
> REST API.

Util now Wookie has required simple UI to allow basic evaluation
testing and developing. If these functions move to another project, I
would suggest that stand-alone unit tests would still be required at a
minimum, and perhaps a simple demo. It seems much of this could be
done with some mock widgets and the command line / REST access.

> We may choose to provide text based output from this API, although
> I would suggest an XSL transformation of the XML responses from the API
> would be most appropriate as this will allow data to be retrieved in
> multiple formats (CSV, text, HTML etc.)

That sounds good. However without getting too sidetracked JSON does
provide easy consumption in many cases (but might not be appropriate
here). For the straight-street.com API [1] I ended up serving JSON
mime type with minimal formating to ease reading. using the Firefox
JSONView plug makes it pretty and then interacting and exploring is
really easy through the hyperlinks

> We should offer all UI code in Wookie to Rave as a starting point for their
> "Gadget Store". I imagine that the majority of this code will be re-written
> by the Rave team to suit their local needs. However, I also imagine that the
> work they do will greatly enhance the work we have done here and, for those
> people who need a stand alone administration UI for Wookie we can point them
> towards Rave.

+1

1: http://straight-street.com/api/