From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Wookie gadget "store" moved to Rave?
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 09:27:29 GMT
On 11/05/2011 09:25, Steve Lee wrote:

> One thought is that in order to ease evaluation by new users/devs a
> global installer would be be useful, or at least clear signposting
> between the projects.

Naturally. I'm proposing that Rave become the official reference
implementation of a UI for Wookie. Our site would reflect this accordingly.

>> Wookie is focussed on providing a server based environment for the hosting
>> of Widgets and Gadgets. It provides the necessary infrastructure for clients
>> to request a widget/gadget instance (or a wgt package if appropriate). It
>> also provides a persistence layer so that widgets/gadgets can store
>> preference values. Wookie does not concern itself with the rendering of
>> those widgets/gadgets.
>
> I may be getting confused but doesn't Wookie also implement Wave APIs
> - do these really belong there as well? But that's another
> discussion....

I'm not sure where "there" is. I don't think it is important for this
proposal which is only concerned with UI. However, for completeness, I
believe the Wave integration we currently have belongs here. In the long
term we should consider adopting Apache Wave for this rather than the
partial local implementation we currently have. However, there is
currently no use case so lets stay focussed (for reference Rave has Wave
features on its long term objectives list so a relationship with the
Rave community now would be a good thing in the future too).

>> Proposal
>> ========
>>
>> Wookie should deprecate all UI code and provide integration with Rave,
>> thereby allowing Rave to host W3C Widgets as well as OpenSocial gadgets. Our
>> UI will no longer be interactive. All administration activities will be
>> carried out via a command line application, interfacing with Wookie via the
>> REST API.
>
> Util now Wookie has required simple UI to allow basic evaluation
> testing and developing. If these functions move to another project, I
> would suggest that stand-alone unit tests would still be required at a
> minimum, and perhaps a simple demo. It seems much of this could be
> done with some mock widgets and the command line / REST access.

I'm saying *no* UI code. Wookie becomes a library. The moment we start
bringing UI code back in for any reason we start to blur the lines.

Testing is not a problem (in fact it is simplified) and instructions for
instantiating a widget  and viewing it in  browser would be just a few
lines long. In fact there is no reason why the CLI couldn't optionally
fire up a browser when a widget is instantiated.

e.g. wookie instantiate [WIDGET_ID] [PROPERTIES] --view

>> We may choose to provide text based output from this API, although
>> I would suggest an XSL transformation of the XML responses from the API
>> would be most appropriate as this will allow data to be retrieved in
>> multiple formats (CSV, text, HTML etc.)
>
> That sounds good. However without getting too sidetracked JSON does
> provide easy consumption in many cases (but might not be appropriate
> here). For the straight-street.com API [1] I ended up serving JSON
> mime type with minimal formating to ease reading. using the Firefox
> JSONView plug makes it pretty and then interacting and exploring is
> really easy through the hyperlinks

Sure we can provide JSON too - we look forward to your patch or and XSLT
to convert XML to JSON, e.g.

wookie listWidgets [PROPERTIES] --transform=toJSON.xslt

or

wookie listWidgets [PROPERTIES] --output=JSON

>> We should offer all UI code in Wookie to Rave as a starting point for their
>> "Gadget Store". I imagine that the majority of this code will be re-written
>> by the Rave team to suit their local needs. However, I also imagine that the
>> work they do will greatly enhance the work we have done here and, for those
>> people who need a stand alone administration UI for Wookie we can point them
>> towards Rave.
>
> +1

Thanks for your comments.

Ross