From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Wookie gadget "store" moved to Rave?
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 09:14:50 GMT
On 11/05/2011 09:28, Paul Sharples wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 19:44, Scott Wilson wrote:

>>> We should offer all UI code in Wookie to Rave as a starting point for
>>> their "Gadget Store". I imagine that the majority of this code will
>>> be re-written by the Rave team to suit their local needs. However, I
>>> also imagine that the work they do will greatly enhance the work we
>>> have done here and, for those people who need a stand alone
>>> administration UI for Wookie we can point them towards Rave.
>>>

>>> Thoughts?
>> I like the idea of making Wookie more lightweight and modular;
>> delegating the whole concept of an admin client to Rave is an
>> attractive thought from that perspective. I already largely manage
>> Wookie from the command line anyway - e.g. dragging and dropping in
>> Widgets to /deploy rather than going through the web interface. I
>> mostly use the web interface for some interactive debugging these days.
>>
>> I'd previously looked into providing Wookie admin functions as widgets
>> (this is in the scratchapad area). These too could be submitted to Rave.
>>
>> (Note also I've worked on a prototype using an Apache Solr repository
>> implementation to support searching and browsing across multiple
>> widget/gadget providers - this might also be of interest to Rave:
>> http://iecbolton.jira.com/svn/ITEC/widget_discovery_service/trunk/)
>>

> Are you saying that we should remove the UI type files from
> "webcontent/*" and move them to rave? (i.e the admin, webmenu folders of
> jsps etc).

I'm saying we should offer the code. Whether they want it is a different
issue.

The important point is...

> Wookie would then have no front end. Subsequently, things
> like settting a context for a widget (i.e. widget type equals "chat") or
> setting a white list entry, would then be done from the command line or
> through a connector from within wookie? (obviously the connectors need
> some more work to do this)

No, I'm not saying Wookie would have no front end. I'm saying the
reference front end would be Rave.

I'm suggesting we maintain a CLI, so that changes *can* be made through
the command line. However, I'm also saying that we should ensure the
REST API and our connectors are sufficiently functional to allow other
systems to become a front end for Wookie.

Scott has also suggested that we should explore the idea of providing
admin widgets. I think this is a great idea. This would allow, for
example, Moodle to become the admin UI. However, I don't think these
widgets should be here in Wookie, they should be in Rave (I've not
discussed this with the Rave community, I'm starting here).

Ross