From Hugh Barnard <hugh.barn...@googlemail.com>
Subject Yoopie! Front page of wookie server on XP
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:15:14 GMT
Hi folks

When people ask me why I haven't done stuff this month, I'll tell them I was
ambushed by a wookie...Anyway, ancient HP box, Tomcat 5.5 binary install,
recently patched XP, Mysql from XAMPP install, Java up to date from web
updates:

1. Downloaded head for wookie server from getwookie.org
2. Unpacked and copied wookie subdirectory into webapps
3. Configured tomcat-users xml
4. Created database with Mysql query browser (yes, I'm lazy)
5. Created mysql java user with Mysql admin and granted all possible rights
(see above, I'm not a skilled DBA)

Noticed that wookie is started in tomcat manager. Surfed to
http://localhost:8080/wookie gives a 500 error.
Look in tomcat log and noticed lots of whining about mysql stuff:

17:49:05,906  WARN BasicResourcePool:1841 -
com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BasicResourcePool$AcquireTask@12c08c7 --
Acquisition Attempt Failed!!! Clearing pending acquires. While trying to
acquire a needed new resource, we failed to succeed more than the maximum
number of allowed acquisition attempts (30). Last acquisition attempt
exception:
java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'java'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:946)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2941)

Then look in hibernate.cfg.xml and change 'java' without a password to (yes,
more laziness):
<property name="hibernate.connection.username">root</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.password">my-root-password</property>

Reboot machine (incidentally, had to start tomcat service manually in
control panel) and stop and start wookie. Now get a nice front page.
So I do feel that there is something to examine in this particular setup
detail, anyway.

Best regards Hugh
--
http://www.hughbarnard.org