From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Progress on IP issues and code preparation
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:41:25 GMT
2009/7/26 Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>:
> Here's an update on progress on outstanding items:
>
> 1. Incompatibly-licensed dependencies
>
> These have been removed from the repository; I've added properties in
> build.xml that the developer will need to set to identify where these are
> located to build and deploy wookie. Also put a note in the README about
> these. Kris is putting a checking stage into the build.

Perfect

> 2.  Plugins
>
> We haven't touched these in the repo; I suggest we just don't move them into
> the incubator SVN but move them into "wookie extras" when we get that set
> up. The rails plugin is actually a bit out of date anyway, it would probably
> be easier to start again with current rails and current wookie.

Gavin, when we do the SVN import will we be able to exclude certain
directories or should we move these out of the existing SVN into a
branch of the existing repo for transition.

Scott, the reason for my question above is that we need to be able to
import the full history of the project which is our first port of call
if there is ever a challenge on the IP in the code base in the future.

> 3. Widgets
>
> Removed Apple JS libs from the repo;
> Added Creole.js to licenses/all_licenses.txt (and inside the config.xml
> "license" element for WookieWiki.wgt)
> Added JQuery to licenses/all_licenses.txt
> Replaced the Skype emoticons in Natter with some CC-BY licensed ones and
> added attribution & license in the config.xml "license" element

Cool.

> TODO: contact Wave team re sample code in Sudoku & Poetry gadgets
>
> I think we should go with Ross's suggestion and leave waveword out as it
> could have legal issues. However we can reuse the turn-based-wave-games JS
> lib I created for it for something less problematic in future. For now I've
> left it in repo, but we should make sure we don't copy it over into the
> incubator SVN.

Ditto my question above.

> 4. Packaging
>
> Moved all packages to org.apache.wookie

Great

> TODO change all the src headers to use apache 2.0 license

OK

> 5. CLAs
>
> I faxed mine in on Friday, I presume Paul and Kris are on the case with
> theirs. I'll chase the University of Bolton CCLA tomorrow.

Gavin and I will keep our eyes open for these being put into SVN, at
this point Gavin will be able to create your apache IDs. An give you
access to the SVN.

Whilst we wait for full clearance on the code we can start work on the
Wookie site. I'll post a different mail about that.

> TODO contact Stef and Phil

Yep.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk