From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject A few more IP issues and code preparation
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 21:20:36 GMT
Whilst we are waiting for the relevant legal documents to be filed
perhaps the Wookie team would like to prepare the code for import.

There are four incompatibly licensed dependencies (assuming the notice
file is up to date):

     c3p0
     Java Transactions API
     MySQL Connector
     Hibernate

These cannot be brought in to ASF infrastructure and thus must be
removed from the repository and build instructions updated
accordingly. We'll have to replace these dependencies during
incubation. I note that during the proposal stage Scott mentioned that
moving to CouchDB might make sense. we can explore this once the
initial code import is complete.

Since my initial evaluation of the code I have identified a few other
potential conflicts:

I am unsure of our ability to Apache License the Moodle, Elgg and
Wordpress plugins since each of these containers is GPL and I have no
idea if the viral nature of the GPL is invoked by these plugins. It is
a contentious issue. The FSF general claim that modules are "touched"
by the GPL whereas Linux says they are not (and I'd suggest that Linux
Kernel modules are closer to the GPL code than a typical Moodle plugin
for example).

I also note that there is some code from Apple which is not under a
licence I am familiar with. See
http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/shared/mac-resources/WidgetResources/AppleClasses/AppleAnimator.js?revision=1.1&view=markup

I'm also not sure about the widgets in
http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/widgets/
I'm pretty sure the code for (at least some of) these come from the
Google Wave project, what licence are they under and do they contain
any code from other third parties.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of the mentors on handling these issues.
I'd also appreciate it if mentors can look over the code to see if
there are any items I've missed (note the lib files are in an unusual
place: http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/
)

Finally, one for the committers may like to prepare the codebase for
importation into the repository. Other than the above IP issues the
packages will need to be renamed org.apache.wookie.*

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk