From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: License for RandomGUID
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:23:51 GMT
During IP clearance Scott Wilson discovered a file with a questionable
licence. Below is a mail exchange with the author that indicates he is
happy for us to use this code.

I'm confirming that this is sufficient with legal discuss, assume
everything is OK unless I respond to this thread.

Ross

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
Date: 2009/7/21
Subject: Re: License for RandomGUID
To: marc.mnich@gmail.com
Cc: wookie-dev@apache.org, private@roller.apache.org

2009/7/21 Marc Mnich <marc.mnich@gmail.com>:
> You may use this code for any purpose without having to make your code open.
>  I do not believe in GPL for this reason and intended to release this under
> LGPL.

LGPL would render it incompatible with the Apache Licence. If you are
happy with people reusing your code in any environment (including
closed) then a permissive licence such as the BSD or the Apache
Licence is your best choice.

> As long as recognition is given somewhere, you are free in include in
> your application without any other conditions.

You can be assured of that.

> I hope this helps and I am honored to be included in code for The Apache
> Software Foundation which I have used for many purposes for many years.
> Let me know if you need more clarification.

I think that this email will be sufficient, I will confirm this with
the Apache legal-discuss list for archiving and will let you know if
we need anything more. It would be really helpful to others wanting to
reuse your code if you could place a note on your website and in the
code about the intended licence. If you are happy using the Apache
Licence you can find details of how to do so at
http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

For your information the code is being used in Apache Wookie
(Incubating) and Apache Roller. Thank you for your important
contribution to these projects.

Ross