From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few more IP issues and code preparation
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:11:33 GMT

On 21 Jul 2009, at 22:20, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Whilst we are waiting for the relevant legal documents to be filed
> perhaps the Wookie team would like to prepare the code for import.
>
> There are four incompatibly licensed dependencies (assuming the notice
> file is up to date):
>
>     c3p0
>     Java Transactions API
>     MySQL Connector
>     Hibernate
>
> These cannot be brought in to ASF infrastructure and thus must be
> removed from the repository and build instructions updated
> accordingly. We'll have to replace these dependencies during
> incubation. I note that during the proposal stage Scott mentioned that
> moving to CouchDB might make sense. we can explore this once the
> initial code import is complete.

Removing Hibernate+MySQL+c3p0+JTA will require a bit of a rethink on
the ORM front - maybe we can use OpenJPA, or just get rid of ORM and
use plain JDBC & SQL. CouchDB could be interesting for the actual
widget instance preference and state data.

However its a fair chunk of work removing these dependencies - is it
best if we fix these outside the incubator and then move the code when
its working, or submit the code as-is but with just the libraries and
build info removed (i.e., not working) and then fix it in the incubator?

> Since my initial evaluation of the code I have identified a few other
> potential conflicts:
>
> I am unsure of our ability to Apache License the Moodle, Elgg and
> Wordpress plugins since each of these containers is GPL and I have no
> idea if the viral nature of the GPL is invoked by these plugins. It is
> a contentious issue. The FSF general claim that modules are "touched"
> by the GPL whereas Linux says they are not (and I'd suggest that Linux
> Kernel modules are closer to the GPL code than a typical Moodle plugin
> for example).

I think its a reasonable question to ask whether the Apache Wookie
project should include the plugins, or just the engine. If not the
plugins could be handled outside in a separate project, or (my
preference, but difficult in practice) they can be taken on by the
container projects themselves.

> I also note that there is some code from Apple which is not under a
> licence I am familiar with. See
> http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/shared/mac-resources/WidgetResources/AppleClasses/AppleAnimator.js?revision=1.1&view=markup
>
> I'm also not sure about the widgets in
> http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/widgets/
> I'm pretty sure the code for (at least some of) these come from the
> Google Wave project, what licence are they under and do they contain
> any code from other third parties.

The Apple files included in shared/mac-resources can be removed - this
was a convenience for when running converted Apple Dashboard during
early testing, but isn't appropriate for inclusion now.

Looking at the Widgets in the /widgets folder:

* WookieWiki.wgt uses Creole.js, which uses an MIT-style license.

* Sudoku.wgt uses some Google JS code which has no identifiable license.

* WaveWord.wgt uses some code from http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/SSCrabble/
  of indeterminate license, and JQuery which is dual MIT and GPL.

* Test.wgt doesn't use any outside code (its for testing API
compliance with specs).

* YouDecide.wgt doesn't use any outside code.

Inside the /WebContent/wservices folder are widgets included in a
default build:

* Natter uses some Apple code; this can be removed as its just chrome.
JQuery again. And the smileys are actually Skype emoticons under the
Skype Component license: https://developer.skype.com/Download/SkypeEmoticons
  however I think these actually aren't being used under the license
appropriately and would need to be replaced with some genuinely open
emoticon images. If anyone knows of any this would be very handy!

None of the other widgets (weather, vote, chat, forum) use any
external code.

> I'd like to hear the thoughts of the mentors on handling these issues.
> I'd also appreciate it if mentors can look over the code to see if
> there are any items I've missed (note the lib files are in an unusual
> place: http://tencompetence.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/tencompetence/wp6/org.tencompetence.widgetservice/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/
> )
>
> Finally, one for the committers may like to prepare the codebase for
> importation into the repository. Other than the above IP issues the
> packages will need to be renamed org.apache.wookie.*

OK, we'll get on it