From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Progress on IP issues and code preparation
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:25:48 GMT
Here's an update on progress on outstanding items:

1. Incompatibly-licensed dependencies

These have been removed from the repository; I've added properties in
build.xml that the developer will need to set to identify where these
are located to build and deploy wookie. Also put a note in the README
about these. Kris is putting a checking stage into the build.

2.  Plugins

We haven't touched these in the repo; I suggest we just don't move
them into the incubator SVN but move them into "wookie extras" when we
get that set up. The rails plugin is actually a bit out of date
anyway, it would probably be easier to start again with current rails
and current wookie.

3. Widgets

Removed Apple JS libs from the repo;
Added Creole.js to licenses/all_licenses.txt (and inside the
config.xml "license" element for WookieWiki.wgt)
Added JQuery to licenses/all_licenses.txt
Replaced the Skype emoticons in Natter with some CC-BY licensed ones
and added attribution & license in the config.xml "license" element
TODO: contact Wave team re sample code in Sudoku & Poetry gadgets

I think we should go with Ross's suggestion and leave waveword out as
it could have legal issues. However we can reuse the turn-based-wave-
games JS lib I created for it for something less problematic in
future. For now I've left it in repo, but we should make sure we don't
copy it over into the incubator SVN.

4. Packaging

Moved all packages to org.apache.wookie
TODO change all the src headers to use apache 2.0 license

5. CLAs

I faxed mine in on Friday, I presume Paul and Kris are on the case
with theirs. I'll chase the University of Bolton CCLA tomorrow.
TODO contact Stef and Phil

On 21 Jul 2009, at 23:37, Ross Gardler wrote:

> 2009/7/21 Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 21 Jul 2009, at 22:20, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> Whilst we are waiting for the relevant legal documents to be filed
>>> perhaps the Wookie team would like to prepare the code for import.
>>>
>>> There are four incompatibly licensed dependencies (assuming the
>>> notice
>>> file is up to date):
>>>
>>>    c3p0
>>>    Java Transactions API
>>>    MySQL Connector
>>>    Hibernate
>>>
>>> These cannot be brought in to ASF infrastructure and thus must be
>>> removed from the repository and build instructions updated
>>> accordingly. We'll have to replace these dependencies during
>>> incubation. I note that during the proposal stage Scott mentioned
> [...]
>> this was a
>> convenience for when running converted Apple Dashboard during early
>> testing,
>> but isn't appropriate for inclusion now.
>
> OK. That's a simple solution then.
>
>> Looking at the Widgets in the /widgets folder:
>>
>> * WookieWiki.wgt uses Creole.js, which uses an MIT-style license.
>
> MIT is fine - but you may need to add an entry to the NOTICE file.
>
>> * Sudoku.wgt uses some Google JS code which has no identifiable
>> license.
>
> Assuming this is the code from the wave API samples I'd suggest a mail
> to the API group asking them to clarify the license situation. Almost
> certainly they will put it under a permissive licence since it is
> sample code.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-wave-api
>
> Can you, or one of the committers please follow this up.
>
>> * WaveWord.wgt uses some code from
>> http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/SSCrabble/ of indeterminate
>> license,
>> and JQuery which is dual MIT and GPL.
>
> JQuery is fine as we can take it under MIT.
>
> The other code is a concern for two reasons. The first is that there
> is no clear licence, this can probably be resolved with a quick email.
> However, there is every possibility that the code infringes on Mattel
> trademarks.
>
> It may be better to leave this widget in another location, see end
> of this mail.
>
>> * Test.wgt doesn't use any outside code (its for testing API
>> compliance with
>> specs).
>>
>> * YouDecide.wgt doesn't use any outside code.
>
> Good.
>
>> Inside the /WebContent/wservices folder are widgets included in a
>> default
>> build:
>>
>> * Natter uses some Apple code; this can be removed as its just
>> chrome.
>> JQuery again. And the smileys are actually Skype emoticons under
>> the Skype
>> Component license:
>> https://developer.skype.com/Download/SkypeEmoticons however I think
>> these
>> actually aren't being used under the license appropriately and
>> would need to
>> be replaced with some genuinely open emoticon images. If anyone
>> knows of any
>> this would be very handy!
>
> I often use http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/ for icons, I'm
> pretty sure there are some emoticons in there to. CC-BY-SA licence
>
>> None of the other widgets (weather, vote, chat, forum) use any
>> external
>> code.
>
> Excellent.
>
>>> I'd like to hear the thoughts of the mentors on handling these
>>> issues.
>>> I'd also appreciate it if mentors can look over the code to see if
>>> there are any items I've missed (note the lib files are in an
>>> place: