From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Retirement
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:01:24 GMT
The best future for Wave at Apache would, I think be to start an
entirely new project at GitHub, and implement a Wave system that people
can actually understand. Once that gains traction, come back to the
Incubator and ask to resurrect Apache Wave with that new codebase.

The current codebase seems to be simply too complex for people to be
able to pick up. The idea stands as a good one, but the code is just too
complex.

Upayavira

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, at 09:58 PM, Taylor Fahlman wrote:
> I've been a reader of this list for a while. I am another one of the
> people
> who would love to contribute, but literally have no idea where to start.
> really think that if the code was divided a bit more it'd be easier to
> contribute, because I want to see this project keep going. It really does
> have a lot of potential in the current climate of silo-ed communication
> systems. An easy docker image would really help too.
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM Thomas Wrobel <darkflame@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > While the code will always be there in some form, is there any real
> > hope outside of Apache though? will it not just fizzle out?
> > Apache provides somewhat needed pressure, structure and to some extent
> > even prestige.
> >
> > While retirement is understandable necessity for things without
> > progress, its nevertheless sad for a project with such potential.  Is
> > it possible to put a call out for developers? a last warning? a
> > advert? something beyond this list?
> > I have no idea what form it would take though. I am so ignorant with
> > big projects, both socially and structurally. Theres tools out there
> > supposed to help motivate and organised (www.teamily.com) dont know
> > how effectively they are though.
> >
> > It just all seems such a waste for wave to die, its death marking a
> > little lost hope for the open web to recover some ground from the
> > closed hubs that dominate today.
> >
> > --
> > http://lostagain.nl <-- our company site.
> > http://fanficmaker.com <-- our, really,really, bad story generator.
> >

> > On 30 August 2016 at 21:41, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Michael,
> > >
> > > As I said earlier in this thread, retirement means the closure of an
> > > "apache" community. The code is already open source. So long as the
> > > trademark and the Apache License V2 on the code are respected, as now,
> > > anyone is free to do what they like with the code.
> > >
> > > Thus, if someone (or someones) wanted to move it to Github, that'd be
> > > fine. I'm sure Apache wouldn't object to them using the name "Wave" in
> > > some form.
> > >
> > > Upayavira

 So

> > the Docker