From Andreas Kotes <count-apache....@flatline.de>
Subject Persistence via git (Was: Should we remove Federation? Wave as XEP/XMMP Extension)
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:18:35 GMT
Hi Yuri,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 09:35:57AM +0000, Yuri Z wrote:
> I was thinking about Federation via persistence level. In particular when
> all the content persisted into database, but the database is decentralized
> (like bitcoin blockchain). The content though is encrypted. Each wave is
> encrypted with a new key. Whenever a participant is added to the wave -
> whoever adds him also adds a new record into this user data wavelet with
> the wave private key that is encrypted with the user's public key. This way
> only the new user gets access the the wave private key.
> I.e. all the content is public, but encrypted. Only those that control a
> certain key can decrypt the message and add new content.
> So, this architecture follows the bitcoin model - anyone can host his own
> wave blockchain (like running his own wallet) or use a web wallet - i.e.
> wave client hosted by someone else.

I thought about this for a while, and turned it around in my head etc ..

I kinda like this idea, although the concept of the blockchain's proof
of work would put too much strain on a wave system in my point of view.

Regarding distributed, version controlled data storage, I think the by
far best current (open) example is git, which might lend itself nicely
to our needs as well.

There even seems to be an open library implementation at
https://libgit2.github.com/, which might solve a lot of the underlying
problems.

I haven't look into the details, but there might be merit in evaluating
whether the way git handles deltas might related well to how we want to
do OT, and how git shallow checkouts could help gather the relevant data
for a current-version view of a Wave quickly.

I'm not sure whether there's anything git offers that gives us some
streaming-style data transfer capability instead of server-style
push/pull interactivity that's probably less suitable for our needs.

What do you think?

   count

--
Andreas 'count' Kotes