From Andreas Kotes <co...@flatline.de>
Subject Re: Should we remove Federation? Wave as XEP/XMMP Extension
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:22:55 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:20:43PM -0700, Michael MacFadden wrote:
> However, with respect to a particular wave, the federation model is
> very much centralized.  It is not decentralized in the same way that
> XMPP and SMTP are.  This is actually a function of how the Wave OT
> algorithm works and not an issue with the transport or XMPP.

I'd even say that's the correct way to do it. One server should feel
responsible for safeguarding the document regarding security and
availability.

If a document is decentralized only, versions can diverge and copies
might go offline or disappear altogether, with the possibility of no
copy remaining.

The transport as such shouldn't matter too much - although if we stay
in the Java/XML realm, XMPP sounds like a good fit, especially as (via
Jabber) it has a lot of established infrastructure.

Maybe Apache Wave would even make a good set of (official) XMPP extensions?

Cheers,

   count

--
Andreas 'count' Kotes