From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015 with Apache Wave
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:30:52 GMT
Pablo,

As a mentor, I have no particular take on technical issues. My goal is
to foster community. Or come to the uncomfortable conclusion that there
is unlikely to be a sufficient community for an ASF project.

I honestly don’t know why Wave has, so far, failed to build up any level
of momentum. The underlying principles seem cool, but it just hasn’t
taken off.

My suspicion is that anyone who takes an interest is turned off by the
complexity of the codebase, and wanders off to some other implementation
of something similar. If that supposition is true, then simplifying the
codebase to the point where a newcomer can actually make some sense of
it, and possibly modernising a little along the way, could be a way to
unlock the future of this project.

If you have already done some work on decoupling, then this is really
good news. We just (as Ali says) need to get this reviewed and hopefully
incorporated.

The simple question that should drive the GSoC discussion: what changes
can we make to the WiaB codebase that will make it easier, more
accessible and more appealing to new developers/contributors?

Upayavira

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015, at 06:44 PM, Pablo Ojanguren wrote:
> Upayavira,
>
> Regarding your question, does it stand for the project/community vision?
> I have worked on decouple server and client code from GWT one and it
> seems
> it hasn't attracted attention.
>
> If the mentor must represent the community, then it must have clear idea
> of
> project's aim and next steps.

> > I think your last question is the most important one - is there someone
> > here prepared to be a mentor, according to the terms specified by
> > Google?
> >
> > If you have read the recent archives of Wave, you’ll see that there
> > hasn’t been much activity here.
> >
> > My question is, could Roshan, working on Wave, resolve some of the
> > technical issues that the project has that prevent it from gaining
> > additional developers? From my outside perspective, removing, or
> > separating out the client/server, removing the GWT code/etc could be
> > steps that could help make the codebase more palatable, and make the
> > obvious benefits of the Wave protocol more accessible to newcomers via
> > this codebase.
> >
> > That would be the perspective I’d want us to take with GSoC - not add a
> > nice bit on the side for the project, but look to make some fundamental
> > fixes to the accessibility of the codebase.
> >
> > Thoughts? Mentor volunteers?
> >
> > Upayavira
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2015, at 04:50 PM, Roshan Lakmal wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I stared to read about Wave architecture and protocol.
> > >
> > > Can I still continue this project for GSoC 2015 or Is there any other
> > > task
> > > that I can contribute.
> > > Is there anyone to mentor me for GSoC 2015?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Roshan.

> > code
> > operate