From Richard Davis <richardc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON editing and move conflicts
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:53:46 GMT
Hi Joseph,

Regarding object move, I'm in favor of keeping things simple, but I'm also
in favor of thinking about this in terms of what people might actually do
with this capability. Since mapping a directory structure of files is the
one good example you have, then maybe multiple moves to the same key should
merge their values as directory moves merge their files. That would mean a
slightly modified version of your option 1. In the simple case, you have
{x:1, y:2} -> {z:2}, but in the complex case you have {x:{a:1}, y:{b:2}} ->
{z:{a:1, b:2}}.

Maybe you could add a flag that allows the writer to specify whether they
want a move to "replace" the existing value (your option 1) or "merge" with
the existing value (this modified option 1). It's still clear what will
happen if two writers use two different flags, as long as you can put the
two ops in some order: if the "replace" comes second you can replace, and
if the "merge" comes second you can merge.

The only downside I see of merging is that it can have a cascading effect.
That could be tricky, and I haven't thought it through, but I had hope that
this wouldn't be fundamentally different from the other changes you are
making in JSON2.

-Richard