From "Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado" <v...@ourproject.org>
Subject Re: Sometimes WIAB dosn't save
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2013 08:56:22 GMT
El 28/12/13 11:17, Yuri Z escribió:
> Yeah, I also think that Socket.IO causes a lot of issues. Once WIAB
> supported only web sockets, but then we added Socket.IO to allow more
> browsers that don't support websockets to work with it. It happened about 3
> years ago, and the only browser that supported websockets fully was Chrome.
> The problem is - Socket.IO was abandoned by it's author (Tad Glines is
> actually also WIAB committer but he is not active for long time). In fact
> the author himself suggested we would move to Comet or something similar.
> As for me - I think  we can just drop support for long polling and flash
> modes that Socket.IO provides and just use web sockets.

>From my point of view, socket.io java library is used as a fallback when
websocket is not supported by the browser or it's not available because
of proxies/firewalls block it, something very common unfortunately (see
WaveWebSocketClient.java line 111).

Also from my perception, saving issues are caused also because of our
file persistence implementation (I'm using websocket in my browsers, and
I'm suffering saving issues also from time to time).

Returning to websocket, I did several efforts to try to find an
alternative to that socket.io gwt lib, and IMHO, the more interesting
lib is atmosphere.

https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere
https://github.com/Atmosphere/atmosphere/wiki/Getting-Started-with-the-samples

Also as a possibility to remove our jetty dependency in the server side
and try to run wave in other servlet containers.

But I don't find a easy way to integrate atmosphere with our server
websocket, guice and auth code, but I'm keep studying it and trying it.

Meanwhile, I'm doing a little maintenance over this socket.io java fork:
https://github.com/vjrj/Socket.IO-Java/commits/master
the last commit it's needed to run wave with gwt superdev mode,
something I'm working in.

BR,
--
Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado

http://comunes.org
http://ourproject.org
http://homes.ourproject.org/~vjrj/blog (@vjrj)

 "Recently, someone asked me if I believed in astrology. He seemed
 somewhat puzzled when I explained that the reason I don't is that I'm a
 Gemini." [Raymond Smullyan]