From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Wave 0.4 based on RC2
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 05:45:49 GMT
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM, Alfredo Abambres
<alfredoabambres@gmail.com> wrote:
> Upayavira, once again thanks for the reply and patience.
>
> In other words, in this particular case, votes from non-PMC are just a
> special form of "power" feedback and nothing more. PMC can ignore them if
> they like - of course, with all the consequences that position could
> generate on the community, but that's another story :-)

Right. Actually the PMC has "binding" votes, others don't have.
Healthy communities usually even listen to non-committers. Usually
everybody is invited to vote. Not only committers or PMC - simply
everybody who has looked into the release.

Here is more on voting:

Please note, several PMCs are using it a bit differently and made
adaptions. The Wave PMC is free to discuss variations too. The IPMC
will tell if its too much adaption :-)

> 1)
> Send new "members" (like me) read the manuals by for example including on
> the first message a link to the help/support page where the decision
> process is explained
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html (for future reference of
> those following this conversation)

Sounds good, esp. for podlings this could be a real enhancement if we
generally would provide some kind of voting template including these
links.

> 2)
> Clearly identify what we are asking for and from whom. "Should we release
> this new version"  (feedback) is completely different from "Vote for
> releasing this new version" (an actual decision/vote).

Usually votes have [VOTE] prefix in the subject line, and feedback
threads should have the [DISCUSS] prefix.

[DISCUSS] Release Wave 0.4 RC2?

Like that. This prefix is often used to reach consens in a discussion
before the actual vote happens. "Standard discussions" of course don't
need that.

> I hope these questions, replies/answers, doubts and suggestions helped us
> improve the process.

Definitely! At least i think this are very valuable questions.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de