From Dave <w...@glark.co.uk>
Subject Re: Future of Apache wave [Was: Re: Advantages of P2P messaging?]
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:08:46 GMT
On 11/06/13 22:38, Joseph Gentle wrote:
> The reason why WIAB is hard to deploy is because:
> - You need a signed SSL certificate
> - Federation works via an XMPP extension - so you have to install an
> XMPP server and hook them together
>
> The deployment problems don't really have anything to do with the OT
> algorithms. I'm all for some discussion around those design decisions
> - the XMPP extension stuff definitely contributes to code complexity
> and server flakiness.

To me, these sound like things we can improve within the WIAB codebase
without changing the wire protocol or OT algorithm.

Protobuffs in XMPP might not be the most elegant wire protocol, but
they're both proven, solid messaging technologies.  I can see appeal in
replacing them, but for my money the path of least resistance would be
to improve these implementations.

Dave