From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailing Lists vs Wave
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 10:54:51 GMT
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Alfredo Abambres
<alfredoabambres@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Fleeky Flanco <fleeky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i am just going to go ahead and start a wave on my own wave server that
>> will be a brainstorm and discussion area for wave. if anyone wants to join
>> up its at http://7rnx.net:9898 i am tensy@7rnx.net if you register on it
>> and tell me your username ill add you to that wave.
>>

> Thanks for your suggestion,
> but wouldn't be better to use
> http://waveinabox.net/<http://waveinabox.net/auth/signin?r=/> for
> that purpose? It's the demo server/client listed on the Apache Wave site,
> some of us are already there and I think some discussions already happen
> there (mostly feedback on the WIAB client).
>
> I personally don't use it much (I spend more time on Rizzoma - sorry)...
> but if the idea is too centralize and engage more people, that (
> http://waveinabox.net/ <http://waveinabox.net/auth/signin?r=/>) would be a
> better choice. What do you think?

Developing software within Apache does mean we are accepting some
basic rules the way we work. One is for example to use ASF
infrastructure. This will enable us to keep information, even when
others shut down their services. It is possible for every interested
person to follow the track from beginning to the end. To say it more
drastically (quoted from I think Roy Fielding): "what didn't happen on
list, didn't happen".

In other terms: we need to keep all our discussing on the mailing
lists. Some people may not want to create an account at Rizzoma. Some
others may want to follow Wave, without really using it. It sounds
paradox, but there are a few people concerned on the foundation
itself. They are required to read some information easily, for exmaple
when it comes to trademarking problems. We need to give that
information without hassle and without requiring them to learn a new
tool.

There are a tons of reasons to keep the discussions on ASF infra and
mailing lists in general. I do not want to advocate or defend the old
mailinglists. I am just saying, ml's have been utilized long before I
joined the ASF and despite some efforts, they have turned out to be
stable and loved. There were even ideas to accept HTML emails blocked.

Unlike you want to start a huge and most likely unsuccessful
discussion with infra/board/other parties, I suggest we utilize
mailing lists for all discussion on Apache Wave.

Of course, nobody will "forbid" you to utilize other tools, but please
remember: if it doesn't happen on list, it didn't happen.

Besides discussion, all votes and decisions need to be public
accessible on ASF mailing lists.

Sorry for sounding so oldschool; but it's really required.

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de