From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NodeJS for Sever-Side Wave Code
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 09:54:32 GMT
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Bruno Gonzalez <stenyak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree, IMO efforts should be directed at getting more man power. Sadly,
> ideas are mostly useless if there's no hands that will transform them into
> actual code. I don't know... a solid business plan for a kickstarter, some
> advertising magic that will attract developers to devote their time for
> free, convince the public to donate copious amounts of money to the project
> (this was attempted by the now-offline fundwiab
> <http://www.fundwiab.com/> initiative,
> but it only managed to collect maybe 20 hours worth of developer time; too
> little to do any medium sized task), etc.

As Upayavira mentioned, getting a release out is crucial - its an
important psychological hurdle. Having a release is also motivating
for others to maybe contribute.

That said, one needs to deal with the man power a project has. There
is now a John around with lot of ideas. While some might argue you
need more coders, why are you not building up some marketing-fu
together with John? He seems to be a good writer and very passionate.
Maybe you folks should set up a blog (blogs.apache.org?), utilize G+
and Twitter.

As reminder: in ASF world, not only people who write code can become a
project committer. Everybody who is "committed to the project" and
does things, is able to become a committer. This includes marketing
work, blog posting, helping with translations, answering user
questions on mailing lists etc.. In Apache OpenOffice, a few people do
not know what a shell is and have heard of Java just from the press.
But they do an incredible job with helping users, writing docs,
testing and contributing to ideas. Hence, they become committers too.

What I want to say: yes, you need more coders. But don't miss a chance
to get people involved who are not coding. They might become very
valuable community members + committers with the tons of other tasks
necessary with Wave.

Cheers
Christian

--