From Bruno Gonzalez <sten...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NodeJS for Sever-Side Wave Code
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 10:24:17 GMT
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobmeier@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Bruno Gonzalez <stenyak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree, IMO efforts should be directed at getting more man power. Sadly,
> > ideas are mostly useless if there's no hands that will transform them
> into
> > actual code. I don't know... a solid business plan for a kickstarter,
> some
> > advertising magic that will attract developers to devote their time for
> > free, convince the public to donate copious amounts of money to the
> project
> > (this was attempted by the now-offline fundwiab
> > <http://www.fundwiab.com/> initiative,
> > but it only managed to collect maybe 20 hours worth of developer time;
> too
> > little to do any medium sized task), etc.
>
> As Upayavira mentioned, getting a release out is crucial - its an
> important psychological hurdle. Having a release is also motivating
> for others to maybe contribute.
>
> That said, one needs to deal with the man power a project has. There
> is now a John around with lot of ideas. While some might argue you
> need more coders, why are you not building up some marketing-fu
> together with John? He seems to be a good writer and very passionate.
> Maybe you folks should set up a blog (blogs.apache.org?), utilize G+
> and Twitter.
>
> As reminder: in ASF world, not only people who write code can become a
> project committer. Everybody who is "committed to the project" and
> does things, is able to become a committer. This includes marketing
> work, blog posting, helping with translations, answering user
> questions on mailing lists etc.. In Apache OpenOffice, a few people do
> not know what a shell is and have heard of Java just from the press.
> But they do an incredible job with helping users, writing docs,
> testing and contributing to ideas. Hence, they become committers too.
>
> What I want to say: yes, you need more coders. But don't miss a chance
> to get people involved who are not coding. They might become very
> valuable community members + committers with the tons of other tasks
> necessary with Wave.
>
> Cheers
> Christian

Completely agree, I didn't intend to mean that only coders are useful; on
the contrary, having people like John contributing through their means is
most welcome, and of course doesn't detract from other kinds of
contributions (such as wiki maintenance, source code writing, handling of
IP/legal issues, etc).
Judging by his email, I was under the (maybe incorrect) impression that
John may not be fully aware of the big bottleneck that is the amount of
developer time available, so I wanted to highlight the issue for anyone him
and anyone who may be reading this list, in the hopes that someone can step
in and help in that regard too.

--
Saludos,
     Bruno González