From Bruno Gonzalez <sten...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mailing Lists vs Wave
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 12:30:53 GMT
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Alfredo Abambres
> > I know that is easier said than done. But if we have the chance to find
> out
> > if this is possible, we should grab it, don't you think? Would you help
> us
> > find out if this is possible?
>
> Thats surely possible. Basically you can allow specific senders to
> post to the mailinglist.
> We do something like that with Jira already. My guess is, one would
> just need to maintain
> some kind of message ids to keep a message thread intact.

It looks like a good way to implement this would be a wave robot, but I'm
not sure what's the status of robots at the moment in WiaB.
For starters, we could hardcode everything for our specific use case, which
is *this* mailing list, one specific robot instance, and one specific email
thread / wave thread.

The usage outline would be:
 - Create a wave in a wiab provider.
 - Add apache-wave-to-wiab@wiab.provider.com to the wave.

For starters, the bot will simply listen for all new blips, and send an
email for each of them, via gmail SMTP server, to
apache-dev@incubator.apache.org (or any other mailing list really, this is
just for development testing), with a hardcoded thread subject "bot test".
That way we can test that whatever happens in wave, can reach a mailing
list.

Then we have to do the reverse: have a daemon (or something...) listening
to the gmail POP/IMAP server, and for each email it receives, somehow tell
the bot to create append a new blip to the wave.

Once that's working, we can worry about correct placement of blips, and
correct email headers (so that the conversation tree structure isn't lost).
Then we can figure out a way to set up the bot, so that we can use multiple
waves and multiple email threads (each with their own email subject and
wave ID).
Continue generalizing until we can use it for apache-wave discussions, or
until anyone can use it in any arbitrary mailing list.

Now the question is... words are nice, but the question as usual is, who's
willing and has enough time to code it? :-)

A while ago I was working on an RSS reader for wave. The concept is very
similar to what I just explained, only difference is that RSS is
unidirectional, while a mailing list is bidirectional. However the code is
simple enough and functional (I think I even got to the point where the RSS
url was configurable by user from the wave itself), so maybe it can be
taken as a starting point for the mailinglist-gateway:
https://github.com/stenyak/bagareader
Feel free to fork or do whatever, as long as you respect the Affero GPL v3
license.

--
Saludos,
     Bruno González