From Bruno Gonzalez <sten...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Wave Forward
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 07:30:29 GMT
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM, Ali Lown <al@apache.org> wrote:

> > A slide deck outlining this "strawman" model of where Wave could head may
> > be found at the following address:
> >
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pNsrX26947QH89Ot3k62nlKKSRFLmVgBWxcIEne8VYI/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I would just like to remind people that Apache Wave has had working
> federation support in the code base since creation. (Nullifying some
> of the points in slides 3,4 and 16).
>
> The problem is not the lack of federation support in Apache Wave,
> rather the lack of a roll-out of its use between currently active Wave
> servers. (Which requires the server admins at both ends of a
> federation link to make configuration changes).
> Beyond reminding people of this feature, I am unsure how we can
> increase adoption of it. Suggestions welcome?

My take on this: long ago I tried to set up a WiaB server, and I wanted it
to support federation. The aftermath of the few hours I dedicated to WiaB
was a working wave server, but no federation. The main reason, in my case,
was the lack of step-by-step documentation regarding federation, since I'm
not familiar with all the stuff relative to certificates and wasn't able to
figure it out quickly. I have no idea how many other people have tried to
set up a wave server with federation, or what their reasons for failing
are, but there's my two cents :-)

By the way, I recently purchased a static IP address for my shitty
shared-hosting server, so I could give it a try again and try to set up
WiaB there, but I'm limited in the amount of time I can dedicate to it, so
I cannot give any promises regarding federation support... Also I'm not
sure what other wave servers out there support federation?

--
Saludos,
     Bruno González

Jabber: stenyak AT gmail.com