From Zachary “Gamer_Z.” Yaro <zmy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wave Extensions Gallery integration
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 16:36:48 GMT
On 1 May 2013 07:17, Ali Lown <ali@lown.me.uk> wrote:

> > It is possible to search for only gadgets.  Just append “type:gadget” to
> > the query.  I will add a note to the documentation about advanced search
> > keywords.  Is there a reason you see why that should be available as a
> URL
> > parameter as well, or is the method I listed above acceptable?
>
> Ok. I don't think it makes any difference whether it is a search
> keyword or a URL parameter. I requested it because I didn't see any
> mention of any search keywords.

Understood.  I updated the documentation to mention advanced search
operators can be used.  I will add examples to the API docs at some point
later this week.

> > I see advantages to both options for how WIAB should handle the gadgets
> > list, but I think it is important for wave clients to be able to make API
> > calls directly since not every wave client will necessarily be as tightly
> > connected to a server as WIAB is.
>
> A pure client-side implementation can be found on my github currently:
>
> https://github.com/alown/wave/commit/0cdf070c52def0e711991ff1a5d2249703931751
> This is a quick hack, as opposed to a tidy patch suitable for review,
> but you can see what I have done to make it work.
>
> A few notes:
> - The list api is _very_ slow, it seems to frequently take 10 seconds
> to fetch the list of gadgets, but the search api is 'instant' enough
> to not be a problem. (Why is this?)

Right now the list API only allows you to fetch all gadgets, robots, or
extensions from the datastore.  It was basically created to offer a way to
fetch a list of gadgets before the search API was released.  I intend to,
at some point, add parameters to limit the number of gadgets returned,
which will improve load time.

- The current gadget data includes primary and secondary categories.
> Can you make this information available over the api? (Assuming you
> have it?)

The gallery does not currently allow secondary categories.  Do you think
that would be worth adding?

> - How should the up/down votes be presented in the UI?

They do not have to be presented at all.  The UI could remain as is.

> - Should I remove the bits of code related to the gadget json serving
> (since they would no longer be relevant?)

I do not know much about WIAB's code, but I suppose it would make sense to
remove them if, as you say, they are no longer relevant.

> - Adding any of the gadgets currently results in a 'Port error: Could
> not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.' message from
> Chrome 27, but seems to work fine in Firefox 19.0.2.

What do you mean when you say “adding...gadgets”?  Are the gadget URLs from
the gallery invalid?