From Pratik Paranjape <pratikparanj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NodeJS for Sever-Side Wave Code
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 16:53:31 GMT
I haven't been actively involved in development of the project, but I have
studied it extensively in past, including the code, and I enjoy
answering new people coming to wave whenever I can. Having another pressing
project in hands close to release, I am yet not able to contribute code
wise, but I will try to take up on John's point and take discussion
forward. I hope its acceptable as Christian so elegantly mentioned
different roles people can take on through Apache model. :) Opinions, but
may help.

Please see inline

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM, John Blossom <jblossom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting remarks so far from everyone, thanks very much, keep them
> coming. I see others coming in.
>
> Here are some thoughts regarding your thoughts:
>
> - There seems to be a commitment to get a release out. If that's a
> near-term objective, then good, let's allow people to have pride in their
> work and to have a complete Wave 1.0 kit. If it's a "someday" goal, then
> I'd suggest that we need to think about how best we can get resources to
> move more towards the vision that I have outlined in my presentation deck,
> assuming that there's consensus that it be refined into a concrete roadmap
> and powerful pitch deck. My personal concern at this point is not "ship
> it." My personal concern is to make Wave awesome and powerful as soon as
> possible using every resource available, using those currently committed
> and those yet to be committed.

A release has been an objective since a long time now and we are on the
verge of making one,
with all the licenses updated and dependencies solved (am I right?) thanks
to efforts from current
contributors. As I have gathered from the mailing list discussion, a
release is also an important
requirement in Apache's project model, and it will only help on all counts,
including developer moral.
That said, it should not affect at all inversely if we continue discussing
a direction and new ideas
while the release is being done. We can work on an agreeable road-map and
start working on it for subsequent
releases. As I recall from messages I read only couple of days back, most
were thinking of giving this
release a minor version number only considering the low maturity of the
code.

> - Resources are an issue. So is funding, as a corollary. Both respond to
> the right vision for the marketplace. I feel pretty confident that with
> some refinement, what is captured in the presentation is funding-worthy and
> will attract funding.

This point is true in any context, and encouraging if we can take extra
help for Wave, wouldn't hurt. As long
as all the stakeholders agree to protect the project and it's independence
(within Apache model), funding may
help to get the momentum going.

However, I am concerned about branding issues and
> program management - people putting their money down will want effective
> results in a meaningful timeframe, because competitive pressures don't
> sleep.

I think this is to be resolved by John and senior members from Apache,
discussing the concrete points
John may have concerns about. If required and allowed by legal issues,
semi-involved people like me
can chime in for thoughts. We may get exact discussion going if John list
outs exact ideas and concerns
he has about branding (?) Again, this seems like a regulation choice, and I
understand Apache board members
will be authorities, I am just trying to chip in for a direction.

> - I am willing to put my reputation and efforts into being a committer for
> Apache Wave, if a) there is a strong consensus that the presentation is the
> basis for forming an effective short-term and long-term roadmap for Wave,

Having read the presentation, even though I know its largely in the
direction to take, there may be some
points of concerns. Mostly technical, e.g. completely giving up on code,
peer-to-peer clients may not even
be technically feasible or practical. However, even the client-server model
gives ample possibilities for very cool
communication platform and will be nothing less than any peer-to-peer app
experience. There may be other points.
In short, Presentation in general is appealing, but specifics may need
changing for different reasons.

> b) my role as an initial fund-raiser, marketer, product manager and brand
> developer as a committer is acceptable, c) if we can get agreement on the
> right branding and brand management that will be appropriate for Wave being
> successful commercially, and

Again, will probably depend on what specifics John has in mind about
branding and marketing, and
how it fits within Apache framework of doing things, matter for concrete
points and senior Apache
members involvement.

> d) there is agreement that this will require
> not just some initial code funding but a framework that will ensure some
> level of ongoing support for committers.

I am actually of the belief that if a product solves real problems, and is
fun for developers to work on,
it will drive itself. So many big open sources projects have taken momentum
without initial funding. But then
again, funding may help to catalyze the process, especially in the sector
of branding and marketing.

I think complexity has been the main hurdle working against Wave, for both
users and developers. If we can
simplify things and present a clear picture of what Wave is meant to be and
why it will be better than email or
other current technology, we will have the momentum. This does not mean I
have anything against funding, but
that there is something more effective playing part here. If we can
overcome this point, Wave should be able to
gain momentum without continuous commercial efforts. I believe that is the
right model for open source projects.
Now, if we have funding in addition to that, its icing on the cake. :)

> - I am not a coder of any substance anymore, but I designed, coded and
> managed coders on Unix-based systems for realtime applications in the
> financial industry and have developed and hacked in many Web sites as well
> as little projects like monkeying around with Arduino. I have spent most of
> my career in strategic marketing and product management for content and
> technology products such as Wave. I have spoken globally on visionary
> content and technology topics, I have a very good base of social media
> followers, I have been quoted in the mainstream press often and I have
> appeared on television news shows. Often technology people put me in the
> non-tech box and often non-tech people put me in the tech box. I don't
> care. I have always worked at the intersection of content, technology and
> people, so as long as the right thing gets done, you can call me whatever
> you want. That's what you'd get, no more, no less.

I am personally delighted to have heard from you on the mailing list John,
and its always fun to hear new ideas,
views from people have been actively and passionately doing things to move
technology forward. Like you said
yourself, we all are interested in seeing cool places wave can go, and that
common interest is enough reason to
be joining forces. Even though I haven't been participating much, its been
fun to keep an eye on this mailing list
to see where wave is going, also learning about more about Apache in the
process.

- I want Wave to succeed. You want Wave to succeed. Others want Wave to
> succeed, and a growing number are taking interest in what has been started
> in this process by me and others. That's what branding, funding, committers
> and cooperation are all about - success. Sometimes that means that
> everyone, including me, puts their own investment aside and tries to do the
> right thing. That's a part of the ASF spirit, I know. But I don't want
> success by accident. I want success by design.
>
> So yes, we need committers. For what?
>
> Solve for x.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Blossom

True that. Hopefully we can all take up on this initiative and take it to a
point where we move
more aggressively forward gathering more hands to help us.

Warm Regards,

Pratik Paranjape.