From Pratik Paranjape <pratikparanj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Sat, 25 May 2013 14:18:26 GMT
I had studied this point a while back, and for all practical purposes, I
had to conclude that the development of wave-protocol is very tightly tied
to the development of the Wave as application. Please consider following
points:

1) Community Principles:
http://www.waveprotocol.org/wave-community-principles
    The guidelines are quite open and discussion is encouraged to be
public, for all parties involved.
2) The wave-protocol site: https://code.google.com/p/wave-protocol/
    Community principles mention google-code site as canonical reference
for protocol, but the protocol site itself clearly states
    that the project is moving to Apache. No separate  wave-protocol
project mentioned.
3) The wave-protocol Google group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/wave-protocol
    The group has no activity since Jan 2011.

It makes sense that the protocol should evolve based on the feedback of
actual use in production environment, which as it stands right now, most
likely will be coming through the use of Apache Wave (in a box).

That said, there can be finer legal issues which are not matter of public
documentation. Is there a governing body at Google for wave-protocol? Can
someone from Google comment on it?

/** Start of Opinions from an interested party**/

On general note, since John initiated a discussion, laying out my 2 cents.
Even though Wave did not go the spectacular path it was originally designed
for, I think both the protocol and the platform (CC-OT, Wave Model and the
Client) have enough merits to make it into several fantastic products with
certain aspects tweaked.

1. Simplification of the client
2. Clear use cases, differentiation on the basis of intended users, e.g.
    a) Technical and non-technical audience
    b) Features that are useful in Wiki vs features that are useful in
general purpose communication platform parallel to email. (Do you want the
        other party to read the email exactly as you are typing it? )
3. Better integration with existing email technologies/servers for smoother
transition from email (through POP, IMAP)
4. As John pointed out, some direction towards Mobile adoption
5. ...

I am curious to know if anybody else here agrees with the summary above,
and with the opinion that the Wave needs redirection in order to have
mainstream success. For a complex project as wave, everything depends on
the community momentum, and its a chicken-egg problem.
I understand that some may think its a too big a change to be talking
about, ( and that coming from a non-contributor). Aim is to just collect
ideas and to check if there are others who feel the same way. I am
currently busy on a different start-up project, but have definite plans to
play with Wave in its communication platform form, as I get the chance.

I think to this point, objective has been to get WAIB up and running at the
level of production deployment. Kune.cc has been using wave in production,
if they are willing, their feedback and adoption report can be of great
help. The current contributors have been doing a great job of getting the
client-server running, taking over from somewhat not-ready source the
project received.

/** End Opinions **/

Regards,
Pratik Paranjape.