From Thomas Wrobel <darkfl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving Wave Forward
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 15:35:31 GMT
" we need an updated version of a demo app in the
most ideal language - generic as in today's WiaB client but a testbed for
 services that can be adopted easily into much more targeted apps."

Id agree with that, although I'd suggest that app be targeted towards
developers rather then end users.
That is, it doesn't have to be refined, or "cutting edge", but it does have
to clearly provide a framework from which others
can see exactly how to use the protocol.

I think that will be the surest way to actually get great clients - not to
try to take it all on at Apache, but provide a framework for other
developers to do so. I would guess theres probably hundreds of times more
mobile developers able to make nice clients then there is those able to
work on the sever. I admit this is just a hunch - but I personally know at
least 3 people who would do so given a chance.
--

Regarding "ideal language" - that one might be a tough call;

For web clients GWT is still a very good choice for desktop. It has to be
Javascript running on the browser  alternatives simply arnt anywhere mature
yet.  But GWT provides a nice way to make that javascript.
Theres  alternatives that should be looked into , but its certainly still
one of the easiest ways to build webapps that are highly optimized and yet
work almost identically on all browsers. By using gwt to write Java which
compiles to  Javascript it saves a lot of time and effort.

How well GWT preforms on mobile, however, I really dont know. Small GWT
apps tend to be a lot bigger then working directly in
javascript...however...big GWT apps tend to be a lot smaller. That is, it
starts bigger, but scales very well.
So it probably depends on the form of the end client the best way to do it.

In either case, Id suggest any c/s library itself would just be made in
Javascript.
GWT clients would have to make a wrapper for it (but this is a easy task),
meanwhile by having the library j/s means people not wanting to use GWT for
web apps can still use the lib. This gives client developers a lot more
options.

The only downside would be ports would be need to be made for Native
clients. But thats pretty unavoidable whatever we do.

On 29 May 2013 16:59, John Blossom <jblossom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> You have laid out the correct roadmap overall, I think. I'd add a little
> icing on the cake - in addition to a well-defined developer API toolkit (my
> interpretation of 1-4), we need an updated version of a demo app in the
> most ideal language - generic as in today's WiaB client but a testbed for
> services that can be adopted easily into much more targeted apps. Perhaps
> we would need two or more generic apps, to show general use capabilities
> and how to target them.
>
> I think that you bring up an important point - Apache owns the whole stack,
> which apparently is still an intertwining of server-side and client-side
> functionality. I agree that Apache's role is best suited for 1-3. With that
> said, though, if the rest is up to other people, we will need Apache's
> support in allowing the Wave brand to encompass the Apache Wave Web server
> components supported by them and the API-plus-apps-toolkit supported in
> open source format by another organization. I don't want to presume what's
> right or wrong here, I am only laying out what seems logical so that ASF
> can consider this and help us to formulate an appropriate course of action.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Thomas Wrobel <darkflame@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Would it be correct to say the steps towards multiple clients (both
> desktop
> > and mobile) would be:
> >
> > 1. Separate out the server and client code we have atm. (hard/long job?)
> > 2. Formalize a working protocol between the client and server.
> > 3. Document this protocol nicely.
> > 4. Implement this protocol into a library so it can be used easily by
> > anyone making a client, also making updating those
> > clients easier if the protocol changes. (just put in a newer version of
> the
> > library).
> > 5 (option) Ports of that library to a few languages.
> > 6. Hopefully mobile and alternative clients appear using these libs.
> > ?
> >
> > The first parts would need to be done by Apache, but possibly 4/5/6 can
> all
> > be left to 3rd parties.
> > -Thomas
> >
> > On 29 May 2013 10:37, Pratik Paranjape <pratikparanjape@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > p.s. I was able to setup (server-to-server) federation long back, I
> > think a
> > > few months after Google IO10, it was not easy, but it had worked. Back
> > then
> > > there were quite a few guides available.
> > >

> > > On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Pratik Paranjape <
> [...]
In
> none
> > > of
> > > Waves